||Chapter 8: Nucleophilic Substitution
of Alkyl Halides
- Alkyl chlorides, bromides and iodides are good substrates
for substitution reactions (SN1 and SN2)
- A wide variety of common nucleophiles
can be used to generate a range of new functional groups.
- The following diagram reflects some of the more important
reactions you may encounter.
- For practice, make sure you can draw the mechanisms that
lead to these products.
- This list shows alkyl halides being converted to other alkyl halides, alcohols, ethers, esters, thiols, sulfides, amines, azides, nitriles and internal alkynes.